I was in the mood for something a little spicier one night. so I cobbled together my own version of a Mexican-style roast chicken.
It was delicious as a main course topped with cilantro, but also provided a great base for fajita salads later in the week. My favorite version of a fajita salad has bed of salad greens topped with chicken, roasted veggies, salsa, slice avocado, cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt. The yogurt acts as a stand-in for sour cream and adds a really nice creaminess to the salad, especially if you’re using a hot/spicy salsa.
The leftover chicken carcass can also be saved to make chicken broth. I thought that broth made from a Mexican-style chicken would have a Mexican-style spiciness, but with the amount of water added, it actually turned out to have a neutral flavor.
It’s a little bit of extra work to make the paste, but worth it since you get a lot out of this recipe!
Chicken and Veggie Ingredients:
- 1 whole organic, pasture-raised chicken
- 2 limes
- 2 yellow onions
- 4 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Chili powder
- 1 poblano chili
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Roast poblano pepper over a gas flame or under the broiler until blackened all over. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let set for five to ten minutes. Peel and seed pepper; chop.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a food processor, combine poblano chili, shallot, garlic cloves, olive oil, cilantro, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and lime juice, pulse until it forms a paste.
- Rub paste all over the chicken—on top of the skin and underneath.
- Place 2 lime halves inside the cavity of the chicken
- Chop onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. Place chopped veggies in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and lime juice, season with lime juice, salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Place chicken on top of veggie mixture and roast until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF, about 60-90 minutes depending on the size of the chicken.
- Cut chicken and serve with roasted veggies.